Tuesday 25 October 2011

Review: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

 I have been dreading this moment for a while now. I have heard all the singles released from the self titled debut of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. Each one has bored the shit out of me. I've been dissapointed up to now. One of the key members of the most succesful British rock band of the 1990s and 2000s is now reduced to making these bland and uncharacteristic indie rock songs. Having to be in the same room as a song from this album playing is something that could not make anyone smile or frown. It's unlikely anyone would pay attention. It's when actually needing to focus on these songs that is painful. And so with this in mind, allow me to have a listen to Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.

 For those who have a similar state of mind to my own about the singles from this album, I guess opener Everybody's On the Run serves as quite a pleasant surprise. Though some of the synthesizer work sounds a bit like The Verve on a bad day. However, it's actually a pretty solid song. The guitar work is surprisingly gripping and atmospheric and the former Oasis gutarist displays some pretty strong vocals, after all the negativity I've placed towards this album, it is a very impressive and optimistic song.
  That song really ought to get focused on in particular, because from then on, things don't really pick up at all. No other tracks carry the same strength or exitement that Everybody's On the Run did, in music or vocals. And as expected, the rest of the album becomes as boring as If I Had a Gun, The Death of You and Me and AKA... What a Life! Special recognition must be given to Soldier Boys and Jesus Freaks which with it's lazy production, dull gentle indie rock backdrop and unimagintive and repetitive structure makes it not only the most boring track on the album, but quite possibly the most boring track I've heard all year! Also the synthesizer work in (I Wanna Live in a Dream In My) Record Machine gives me the opportunity to use the wird "sloppy" which I haven't done in a while.
 I can't quite remeber if he referred to any songs in paricular but I have the memory of hearing Gallagher state that some of the songs for this album were written during his time touring with Oasis and this can be heard on various tracks, which largely carry a sense of familiarity with songs from the massive Don't Believe the Truth, in particular the track Dream On which is very similar to The Importance of Being Idle. But this reinforces my belief that there's nothing here that I couldn't find a better version of in Oasis' back-catologue. None of these songs carry the same sense of power or the emotional impact that Oasis managed to provide, no matter how hard Gallagher seems to try.
 Overall, this album leaves me sad for the current career of who was once a legend of modern rock music. I had a feeling I'd hate this album but in slating it as I have, I just feel bad. The music is just so weak that it almost feels like it's a shame to be bullying it, but I can't not point out the sheer dullness and lack of creativity put into this album.
 If I can credit this album for anything, it's that it will allow many to see how great Oasis really were.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds' self titled album is out now via Sour Mash Records. Gallagher will tour the UK in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment