Tuesday 6 September 2011

Review: Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - AKA... What a Life!

 The rapid rise of popularity towards the solo career of former Oasis guitarist and vocalist, Noel Gallagher, is something I've not covered on this blog yet, and it's really time I did because, really over the past two decades, he has become a rock and roll star, no matter how annoying that seems. I suppose the horrendous attitude that he displays in interviews has always been a turn off point, but I realize that one should focus more on the art than the artist. Also, it's probably a good thing I wasn't writing when Beady Eye first emerged to popularity, I'd probably give them a bad review based solely upon the personality of Liam Gallagher. Honestly, how can anyone stand the Gallagher brothers? They truly do belong to each other, but hey, they don't want anything to do with one another.
 Anyway, I can't judge a musician on how they act now, otherwise I'd never be able to appreciate Guns N' Roses, so I can't judge Noel Gallagher's music on Gallagher himself, so it's time to have a listen to new single from his solo project Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, AKA... What a Life!
 Of course due to a general dislike for the guy, I was kind of hoping for the song to be shit, but it's not even that. It's just bland, uninspired and sounds like it was made for the purpose of serving as pleasant background music. It's very radio-friendly and run of the mill and very hard to get excited over. Unlike a lot of decent radio-rock, this also has the problem that it's not even catchy. I couldn't picture anyone jumping around having fun to this. I just picture it playing on the radio while a middle class family is eating dinner, and coming from the guy who brought inspiring rock anthems filled with soul to represent the working-class of the north of England, really seems quite embarrassing.
 Actually, it feels more like Noel is trying to make a Coldplay song, which will put off some, but even if you like Coldplay, this song has a complete lack of charm and occasional dynamism that Chris Martin's alt rock crew manage to stir up.
 AKA... What a Life! does not make me feel optimistic about the release of the self titled debut of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. It shows he's lost his sense of uniqueness, dynamism and overall passion for making music. But then, the launch of his solo career is probably just a way to try and gain more popularity than Liam in Beady Eye. The song is simply unsatisfying and the idea of a whole album of songs like it fills me with dread.

No comments:

Post a Comment