Wednesday 21 September 2011

R.E.M. Split up after thirty one years together

 Just this moment now, I've been struck with the sad and unexpected news that alternative rock heroes R.E.M. are to split up following thirty one years together.
 A statement on their official website reads "As lifelong friends and co-conspirators, we have decided to call it a day as a band. We walk away with a great sense of gratitude, of finality, and of accomplishment at all we have accomplished"
 With a career spanning over three decades having released 15 albums including Document, Out of Time and Automatic For the People, it's obvious that they have left an irreplaceable legacy and will leave a big hole in the world of music that will be hard to fill.
 I hadn't quite managed to hear their latest album Collapse Into Now and was coincidentally promised it today but was fond of what I had heard.
 They're a talented group of guys and I wish them the best of luck with whatever the Georgian trio go on to pursue. For now, in a stake of surprise from hearing this news, I leave you all with my favourite R.E.M song.


No comments:

Post a Comment